Yay for grade 3 homeschool curriculum picks!
Certain subjects like history/socials, art, science and literature we do with our fifth grader. Because of that some of this post will have similarities to our grade 5 choices.
Grade 3 Language Arts Curriculum
Before I dive into this list, we do not use everything listed below every week. I’ve found the best success in our homeschool has been to change things up. I tend to rotate our flow of curriculum every month. One month our lives are full of Brave Writer lifestyle, then the next month we focus on other curriculum.
- Beowulf Grammar– I was delighted to find a new grammar curriculum just this past week. I wanted something new and fun, and I think Beowulf Grammar looks amazing. Be sure to check out the review from Project Happy Home . It’s a hands on program full of fun activities, and I plan on doing some of them with our grade 5 as she’s a visual learner.
- All About Reading 3– I’m excited to use this program this year to enhance my daughters reading skills. I’ve purchased the app so she enjoys using the letter tiles on it instead of hands on ones (that make quite a mess!).
- Brave Writer Jot it Down and Writing with Ease 1 for writing practice. I rotate the months we’re using each program as I like to change it up so it’s not the same old same old all the time. My goal is to do 4 writing projects from Jot it down.
- Language Lessons for a Living Education– this is a light, Charlotte Mason inspired language arts program. We honestly don’t do the religious copywork (you can read my review and how we use it here) as we also do brave writer.
- Brave Writer poetry tea time is a fav here, and we also love Friday free write. I didn’t buy the dart from Brave Writer this year as so many of the books are similar to Quiver of Arrows which we’ve already done. I plan on creating shorter copywork passages from the Arrow guides for our grade 3.
- Evan Moor Spelling 3, I also have Spelling You See C but because we do a lot of Brave Writer copywork, or even just copywork from beautiful picture books, I find it can be too much. I also have All about Spelling but I’m finding it too similar to All About Reading.
Grade 3 Math Homeschool Curriculum
I feel like it’s my homeschool goal to find the ‘perfect’ math curriculum, and so far we blend multiple programs. Last year she used Singapore 1B and we started 2A. I just found out about Dimensions math and I’m very drawn to it. For now, I have the following for the upcoming year (and I’m trying hard to use it, instead of grass is always greener..)
- Jump Math – We have the Canadian version for measurements and money. This is a very inexpensive program, however there are no lessons in printed form. You can open an account online to get the teacher lesson plans however.
- Math Lessons for a Living Education– is a light, non-overwhelming math program that we’ve used the past couple of years. Our kids never feel overwhelmed with this curriculum. I finding it’s lacking in instruction grade 4 onwards, but I do still enjoy it. Read my review of Math Lessons for a Living Education here.
- I have the Math Adventures Fairytale land for some added fun. At the grade 3 level I always keep manipulatives on hand, especially for re-grouping addition and subtraction purposes.
- I combine Torchlight 2 and Build your Library 2, which you can read more about that here. I don’t complete the level in one school year, it takes us about 1.5 years. Level 2 is the Medieval history period. Please note that I don’t read all of the literature books because we also do Brave Writer. I’m still narrowing down our literature choices for the year, and I’m also adding in lighter books because we have a Kindergarten around that listens in. I am finding that my 10 year old has a longer attention span and is craving more reads full of action, so I may read to just her instead of as a whole family for certain books.
Some literature picks for the year
Science for grade 3
- Botany Unit 1- Forest and Tree Biomes is an 8 week nature unit study and morning basket that I’m currently creating for the upcoming year. It also includes secular copywork and some writing projects, nature journal, forest school activities and walks. It will be listed in my shop in the coming weeks!
- Geology and Earth Science morning basket books and science experiments and the Sassafras Earth Science and Geology. I am also looking at Real Science Odyssey or Astronomy and Earth Sciences for the Grammar stage as a potential.
- An astronomy unit study is also in the works for the winter 2021, I’ll share resources for those more in-depth later.
Canadian Social Studies Curriculum
- We’ve been enjoying the Great Canadian Adventure for some Canadian socials and geography lapbooking
- Morning basket books on Canada has been our favorite way to learn more about our country so far!
Stay tuned for more reviews!
What are you using this year?