Stories for kids that are seasonal and nature inspired!
I love books.
In fact like many mamas out there, it’s one of my favorite aspects of homeschooling.
For the upcoming year, I wanted to share with you some fantastic nature picture books that are seasonally inspired. We live in a place that gets to enjoy all 4 seasons, but feel free to make adjustments depending on where you live.
–> Free Bonus
At the end of this blog post I have a FREE printable book tracker so you can check off the picture books that you’ve read together.
Children’s picture books can make a kid fall in love with books and reading.
These stories for kids are seasonal and nature inspired. I love reading to the kids before bed or cuddled up on the couch. There are so many benefits to reading to kids, and even older children enjoy picture books. This list is aimed for 3-10 years old, but honestly I really enjoy these stories and illustrations.
A good book is great no matter what your age.
There are endless children’s picture books out there, it was hard to make this list. Undoubtedly there are many great books that I missed, but I only wanted to recommend books that our family has personally enjoyed and read together.
What I looked for with these picture books for kids
- Nature themed
- Seasonally inspired
- Beautiful illustrations
- Engaging for the parent and kids
- Have good messages
Where you can find these picture books for kids
If you have a fantastic local library many of these titles will be there for you to borrow. You might be a mama like me and love to build your library at home with fantastic books. Check out local thrift book stores or buy new. The links in this blog post are to Amazon (affiliate links) however feel free to buy second hand or borrow wherever you can.
Kids picture books make excellent copywork sentences for older kids.
I’m a huge fan of Charlotte Mason homeschooling, and copywork, poetry and nature study is part of our weekly rhythm.
I’ve truly found that my kids never resist doing homeschooling if they are copying sentences from a book we just read.
Seasonally Inspired Books
I tried to match these picture books the best I could with our seasons. We live in the northern Hemisphere (Canada), however, many of you live in opposite seasons or don’t have the same weather patterns. Feel free to make adjustments.
Best Stories for Kids
- Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
- Over and Under the Snow by
- A Perfect Day by Carin Berger
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
- A Day so Gray by Marie Lamba
- Love by
- Sugar Snow ( Little House Picture Books)
- Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring by Kenard Pak
- If I Had a Little Dream by Nina Laden
- Over and Under the Pond by Kate Messner
- Pond by Jim LaMarche
- Finding Wild by Megan Wagner Lloyd
- Water Can Be by Laura Purdie Salas
- This is Sadie by by
- The Flowers are Calling by Rita Gray
- The Honeybee by Kirsten Hall
- Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
- Sonya’s Chickens by
- Out of School and Into Nature: The Anna Comstock Story by Suzanne Slade
- The Curious Garden by Peter Brown
- Up in the Garden Down in the Dirt by Kate Messner
- How Does my Garden Grow? by Gerda Muller
- We are the Gardeners by
- Green on Green by Dianne White
- What’s Cooking at 10 Garden Street?: Recipes for Kids From Around the World by Felicita Sala
- The Night Gardener by Terry Fan and Eric Fan
- Song of the River by Joy Cowley
- Red Sky at Night by
- The Listening Walk by Paul Showers
- The Sequoia Lives On by Joanna Cooke
- The Hike by
- Yellow Kayak by
- The Tree Lady by
- Seeds and Trees by Brandon Walden and Kevin & Kristen Howdeshell
- The Keeper of Wild Words by Brooke Smith
- Mooncakes by Loretta Seto
- Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn by Kenard Pak
- Apple Cake: A Gratitude by Dawn Casey
- Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by by
- Sleep Tight Farm by
- Because of an Acorn by
- By the Light of the Harvest Moon by
- The Thank you Book by
- Winter is Coming by Tony Johnston
- Thanksgiving in the Woods by
- Pick a Pine Tree by
- The Little Reindeer by Nicola Killen
- Wish Tree by
- Apple Tree Christmas by
- Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter by Kenard Pak
- Once Upon a Snow Storm by
- When the Snow Falls by Linda Booth Sweeney
What is your favorite picture books for kids?
FREE PRINTABLE BOOK CHECK OFF LIST
—> 52 Weeks of Stories for Kids
Alissa Finlay says
Love this! We’re in Canada too. Does the first book on the list correspond to the first week of January? Wondering where to start in August. 🙂
Isis Loran says
Yes the first books are January, Aug is before the Mooncakes as that’s a September harvest celebration 🙂