Fix it grammar has been amazing for our homeschool!
Honestly, it’s not often that I love a curriculum right after using it for a few weeks. What’s better, is that our 5th grader also enjoys it and has been totally happy learning grammar this way.
Yes I actually said that, my daughter is enjoying learning grammar.
Fix it! grammar is from the IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing). I purchased ‘the Nose Tree’ for when my daughter was in grade 4, but I felt like she wasn’t ready for it at the time (I was right). Now that she’s half way through grade 5 we started the Nose Tree again and I’m delighted with the results. I haven’t used other IEW programs yet, however I do have Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales Writing Lessons for grade 6 next year. Be sure to take a placement test for new curriculum, Fix it grammar offers many levels, we decided to start at the bottom even though she had covered other grammar in other language arts programs.
How Fix it! grammar works
- Kids learn grammar by ‘fixing’ sentences from great writing.
- Elements of punctuation and grammar are noted by the student.
- Students will use notecards with elements of grammar such as nouns, punctuation marks, adjectives, verbs and find them in the sentence.
- Passage is re-written as copywork at the end of the week.
- Each level builds into more complex grammar as the levels go up.
- Bolded words offer new vocabulary that the students are encouraged to look up, or you can read the vocabulary description from the teacher guide.
What I love about Fix it Grammar
I love language arts that are story based and from great writing. It’s definitely one of my favorite ways to teach. We’ve long been Brave Writer fans and still buy Arrows or Darts and we also use Writing with Ease.
The grammar cards were a huge hit for my daughter because if she forgot any of the decriptions, she only had to look at the back. At the beginning of a lesson I pull out which cards we’re using that day and tell her how many of each there are for her to note.
As I started with the first level for my grade 5, we did 2 sentences a day twice a week followed by the copywork as she’s able to write that much in one sitting.
The bite size sentences and notecards make it an excellent curriculum for kids that struggle with focus
The teacher guide instructions are great and easy to understand.
We really loved Fix it grammar so much, and I honestly have no complaints about it at all!
It’s rare for me to find a curriculum that works so well and that my students enjoys! Win. Win.
Have you tried Fix it! grammar?